Michelangelo, the great master, the paragon of Western art, was more than a solitary creative genius. He was a man wholly devoted to God, his calling, and his friends. In this issue you will learn about Michelangelo's deep faith demonstrated in his life and depicted in his art. In the larger context you will discover the role that art played during this era of rebirth and reform.
This issue of Christian History & Biography provides an opportunity for you to ponder how art could reflect and impact the worship practices and beliefs of Christians in our day.
- The frescoes in the Sistine Chapel
- Themes of Christ’s death in Michelangelo’s works
- Rebirth and reform in Renaissance Italy
- Bruce Herman on Fra Angelico
- Justification depicted in living color