Death of Rafailo Momcilovic, abbot of the Šišatovac Monastery and a notable painter of icons, after days of torture at the hands of a Croationa nationlist militia.Authority for the date:
Death of American Presbyterian evangelist W. E. Biederwolf, who had been director of the Winona Lake Bible School of Theology, and founder and general director of the Family Altar League.Authority for the date:
New York Times.
- Isobel Kuhn enrolls in Moody Bible Institute. She will be known for her mission work in Southeast Asia and for her inspirational books. Authority for the date: Kuhn, Isobel. By Searching. Chicago: Moody Press, 1959.
- Walter Grand Taylor becomes superintendent of the Pacific Garden Mission. Authority for the date: Henry, Carl F. The Pacific Garden Mission. Grand Rapids, Michigan: Zondervan, 1942.
- Conversion of Bentley Deforest Ackley, an alcoholic, who will write almost four thousand hymns, and become Billy Sunday’s organist and secretary. Among his hymns is “I Would Be Like Jesus.” Coincidentally, he dies on this same day in 1958. Authority for the date: Select Seed from the Granary.
- Baptism of Sundar Singh, formerly an enemy of Christ, who had converted to Christianity following a dramatic vision of the risen Lord. Authority for the date: Davey, Cyril. Sadhu Sundar Singh. Moody Press, n.d.
Death of John Holt Rice, Presbyterian theologian, who had been the first professor of Christian theology at Union Theological Seminary, Virginia, and the editor of the influential Virginia Evangelical and Literary Magazine.Authority for the date:
Death in Berlin of David Ancillon, a learned and highly respected pastor of the Reformed Church. He had built up a famous library while at Metz, which was plundered when he fled France after the recovation of the Edict of Nantes.Authority for the date:
- Death of Oliver Cromwell, the Lord Protector of England. A Presbyterian, he had made a strong profession of faith early in life. Authority for the date: Standard encyclopedias.
- Consecration of Pope Gregory I, “the Great.” Authority for the date: Standard encyclopedias.